It's probably safe to say that I would not care for Japanese Valentine's Day, in that I do not care for the American Valentine's Day, especially considering the ギリチョコ. Having a little holiday where women give men a gift of ほんめいチョコ to confess their love seems reasonable, because it might be that little extra push a woman needs to go out on a limb and tell a man how she feels if she so desires, but the ギリチョコ seems off to me. That women are obligated to give all these men chocolate whether she cares about the person or not seems a lot like Amercian Valentine's Day in elementary school, where every student who brought valentines had to bring one for every classmate. We just did it because we were supposed to and there was no significance in it to us, and I'm still not a fan of gift-giving on the basis that you have to do it rather than genuinely wanting to give someone a gift.
(And since I forgot to mention) While White Day seems fair enough with the existence of Japanese Valentine's, I don't think it should be necessary to have a day for it, it should just be a given that if someone gives you a gift you should return their kindness.
And I suppose Japanese Valentine's Day would be a little rough on guys who don't like chocolate!
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I suppose it would be worse if a guy was allergic to chocolate. Nothing says "I love you" more than allergic reactions and food poisoning:)
ReplyDeleteI agree with your stance on obligatory gift giving. Receiving an obligatory gift is not much better than receiving no gift at all. A real heartfelt gift should be something that you know a person will love. It is usually something that you have put a lot of time and thought into. That means that it is necessary to not be limited to buying only chocolates.
I like chocolate!!!, so I like valentins's day if someone gives it to me!!
ReplyDelete