きょかさんは高校の時、友だちがたくさんいたので、たのしかったと言っていました。 高校はごぜん八時半にはじまって、ごご四時におわりました。 きょかさんは高校の時、べんきょうするのがすきだったと言っていました。 テストでいいてんがとれるがすきでしたから。高校のしけんやしゅくだいはむずかしいと言っていました。 よくべんきょうしたと言っていましたから。高校の時、アルバイトをしなかったと言っていました。 こうそく(school rule)できんし(ban) されていましたから。高校の時、しゅうまつはたいてい友だちとおかいものにいった、じゅく(cram school)に行ったと言っていました。きょかさんの高校ではだめだったといっていました。 こうそくがたくさんありましたから。 高校の時、かがく(chemistry)はむずかしかった、。 どうしてですか。けいさん(calculations)がにがて(not very good at)だったと言っていました。
After the interview, it seems to me that Japanese high schools have very strict rules. I'd like to know more about what these rules are and why they are imposed. I'd also like to know more about cram school, as it is often mentioned but never really described.
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
きょかさんはなんさいですか?わたしもかがくはむずかしかったと思います。
ReplyDeleteそうですか。私の高校でもアルバイトをしてはいけませんでした。
ReplyDeleteSome Japanese high schools have more strick rules than others. I think it all depend on the high school's mission statement and school culture.
In Japan, many studnets go to Juku, the cramming school after school. Since K-12 focuses a lot on academics to get into a good university, many parents feel the school education itself is not good enough. Even many elementary school kids go to juku.
私は中学、高校と6年間化学(chemistry)を勉強しました。私は数学(math)と化学が好きでした。
ReplyDelete私の高校もこうそく(school rule)がきびしかったです(strict)。
Your interview sounds kinda similar to the one I had. It is amazing how much work people can put into their studys. I wouldn't be able to take the cramming school. Maeda sensei, question for you if you read this. Is coming to an American school for high school worth it? I can't imagine that they would learn as much as if they stayed in Japan. So is getting foreign education really worth getting less education?
ReplyDeleteJosh san, I had my K-16 education in Japan. But I got MA and Ph.D (still working) in the US. I think Japanese educatio system put lots more emphasis on basic, foundational skill/knolweddge by rote memorization and cramming the knowledge. On the other hand, US education values more on creativity and critical thinking. So I guess you cannot really compare oranges and apples.... I think both those skills are important!
ReplyDeleteWhen I started my MA in the US, I really thought "wow, this is what really means to study, not just memorizing things..."
I'm glad you got to hear a little bit about the cram schools. After the interviews I've been hearing more and more about them and I've been getting interested. I think it's the whole idea that so much of your future lies on one test and you can only take it one at only one time. In America, yes we have standardized test but you can always retake them, I took the ACT twice because I wanted to to see if I could get a higher score. If we had the same process here, I wonder how different things would be.
ReplyDelete